Tuesday, September 05, 2006
9.4.06: Morris to home
Distance: 49.71 miles
Ride Time: 4:02:26
Average Speed: 12.57 mph (more head winds!)
Maximum Speed: 23.7 mph
Total Trip Distance: 525.61 miles
What I learned today: I really, really, really miss my Tempur-pedic mattress.
It was drizzling this morning. Radar looked like it would clear up if we waited. So we went for a nice big breakfast and by the time we left, it was still drizzling, but it stopped within the first 10 miles. We met up with Bill Lang in Channahon. Bill thought up and did the initial planning for the trip, but unfortunately was not well enough to ride with us. So it was nice to meet up for a few minutes for the following photo-op.

We continued on to Joliet, Frankfort and home.
This is the only picture of the entire group taken during the trip:

Some final thoughts:
This was my first extended bike trip. It will not be my last. All in all, it was a good experience. I wish we could have had more tail winds, but I learned something about myself grinding out those head winds for 5 straight days. Other than my wheel issue the second day of riding and one other minor issue by one other rider, there were no breakdowns or flat tires. I thought that was pretty impressive considering the quality of some of the roads.
This ride took me into new mileage territory. First, I surpassed my total annual mileage. Which obviously will continue to be new territory for the rest of the year. Second, I surpassed (actually annihilated) my weekly total. Before this week, my highest weekly total was around 220 miles, this week it was over 550 miles.
Ride Time: 4:02:26
Average Speed: 12.57 mph (more head winds!)
Maximum Speed: 23.7 mph
Total Trip Distance: 525.61 miles
What I learned today: I really, really, really miss my Tempur-pedic mattress.
It was drizzling this morning. Radar looked like it would clear up if we waited. So we went for a nice big breakfast and by the time we left, it was still drizzling, but it stopped within the first 10 miles. We met up with Bill Lang in Channahon. Bill thought up and did the initial planning for the trip, but unfortunately was not well enough to ride with us. So it was nice to meet up for a few minutes for the following photo-op.

We continued on to Joliet, Frankfort and home.
This is the only picture of the entire group taken during the trip:

Some final thoughts:
This was my first extended bike trip. It will not be my last. All in all, it was a good experience. I wish we could have had more tail winds, but I learned something about myself grinding out those head winds for 5 straight days. Other than my wheel issue the second day of riding and one other minor issue by one other rider, there were no breakdowns or flat tires. I thought that was pretty impressive considering the quality of some of the roads.
This ride took me into new mileage territory. First, I surpassed my total annual mileage. Which obviously will continue to be new territory for the rest of the year. Second, I surpassed (actually annihilated) my weekly total. Before this week, my highest weekly total was around 220 miles, this week it was over 550 miles.
