Tuesday, September 05, 2006

8.31.06: Greenville to Springfield

Distance: 84.58 miles
Ride Time: 6:52:10
Average Speed: 12.52 mph
Maximum Speed: 32.2
Total trip distance: 278.34
Winds: N (OK Ernesto, you proved your point)
What I learned today: I HATE head winds

Today was a grind. Head winds most of the day and no place to hide. We had a morning break at Irving. Apparently Paul sells exotic junk in Irving.


We lunched in Morrisonville. On the map, it looked like a slightly larger town (it should have at least a gas station) and we figured there should be a restaurant or two. Riding into town on the blacktop (the term for the finished non-chip 'n tar roads) we came across a diner. We stopped and looked at the menu in the window and were deciding whether to try it when a farmer came out. He recommended the diner, probably as much for the food as well as the fact that there were no other places to eat in town. In further conversation with this particular gentleman, we learned that he farms about 1000 acres. He is also the road commissioner of Christian County. This is a million miles from the bureaucracy that is The Department of Streets and Sanitation in Chicago. And he was right, it was a good place to eat.

After riding for miles and miles into the wind, we finally arrived in Springfield. We stopped and visited the Lincoln house. I had never been to Springfield before and this was my first, and on this trip, the only chance to visit the house. It was only 20 minutes and very informative, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't all hot and sweaty from an 85 mile ride.


Springfield is not a dry town. Hot shower, cold beer and a really good dinner.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?